Growing up in the church, I remember hearing things like, “go to work for Jesus!” I never really understood what that meant, but like most us, I jotted it down in my notebook and nodded my head, agreeing with the statement.
But what does it really mean? Can you bring glory to God today stocking shelves, mowing yards, or trying to earn your commission? If you are like me, maybe you are thinking, “how can someone glorify God at work or go to work for Jesus unless they work in a church?” Well, I believe that there are at least seven ways (there are probably more) you can glorify God at work, every day.
1. Be dependable. This is twofold. First, depend on God. Depend on Him to give you a job, provide for you, and to show you purpose for your life. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Second, be someone who your co-workers and employers can depend on.
2. Be aware of your relationships and the way you communicate with others. There are several scriptures you can point to here. We are to respect and submit to those who God has put over us. (Romans 13:1-7) How do you communicate to your boss? Respectfully or rudely? And how do you communicate with your co-workers? Do you use language that sets you apart as a Christian? In addition, how are you perceived? To be blunt, are you a flirt or inappropriate? Don’t be!
3. Be honest and have integrity. The 8th commandment says “You shall not steal.” (Exodus 20:15) This includes more than just money or property. Don’t take advantage of a break or steal time. Don’t use company resources for personal gain. Just be fair and do the right thing.
4. Be a loving person. This could be included with number 2, but I want to emphasize love. Christ shows His love in many ways: His patience, mercy, grace, service…and this could go on. Are you demonstrating a Christ-like love to those around you? Ideas to help you do this: Help your co-workers, always be willing to come in early and go the extra mile, be understanding when someone makes a mistake and care about the needs of others.
5. Have a purpose. Why do you work? Is it just to earn money to blow on the weekends? Do you realize that while you are at work you are earning the money that you will put in the offering plate, that will go on to do things like support missions, feed the hungry, and plant churches through the Cooperative Program? What an honor to be a part of what God is doing just by cleaning tables or flipping burgers.
6. Be thankful! The job you have is what God is using to give you food on your table, a roof over your head, and ever go see a movie on the weekends or buy new clothes. Give thanks for what the Lord has given you!
The most important thing you can do is:
7. Be missional! Share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with those around you! God has put you in your position for a reason!