Be Careful What You Wish For
As a rebellious teen, my ambitious tongue often times ran on ahead of my logic. Ranting and raving, while motivated by emotion, I’d hear myself say things like:
- “I wish I was 18 so I could do what I want!”
- “Eighteen year-olds don’t have to do the polite thing, responsible thing or the hard thing just ‘because I said so.’”
- “Sometimes I wish I had never been born!”
In August, 1988, I fell in love with Jesus, so to speak. I gave my heart away, vowing to live only for Him. HE listens to me. HE cares about my struggles. He calms my soul and eases my fear.
Soon, motivated by hard times and emotion, I hear myself say:
- “I wish I didn’t even know about Jesus.”
- “If I didn’t know Jesus, I wouldn’t have to do the responsible thing, the right thing, or the hard thing just ‘because HE said so.’”
Contrary to popular belief, life is hard – even when you love Jesus.
I hear myself say, “Sometimes I wish I had never been born–again!”
Maybe you can relate.
Maybe there are some things you’re wishing for too.
You may be right in the middle of a hard place right now. Disappointment, fueled by a hot temper, has you primed for a good little hissy-fit! Maybe you hear yourself saying things like:
- “This is not what I signed up for!”
- “Where are you God?”
- “Why is this happening?”
- “Sometimes I wish I …”
One evening, during a particular hard spell several years ago, I latched onto Isaiah 45. In these particular Bible verses, God (through Isaiah) introduces a man by the name of Cyrus, a man who wouldn’t even exist for another 200 years. God promises to go before Cyrus to break down gates of iron, level mountains and make the crooked places straight. He promises to give him hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places.
A promise God absolutely kept – Amazing!
This Scripture tells me there will be hard places, road blocks and disappointments in my life. However, if God would go to the trouble to do these things for Cyrus, a man who didn’t even acknowledge God, how much more will He do for me? And for you! Not because of who I am, or who you are, but because of “Whose” we are.
I am His child. You are His child. And for this reason, our ambitious Heavenly Father goes off ahead of emotions and waits to meet me, and you, right in the middle of all the crooked places. He is there, breaking down barriers and keeping promises –just like He said He would. Makes me wish I would have figured this out sooner. Makes me want to be careful what I wish for …how about you?
So today, I wish for a grateful heart to appreciate:
- A loving God who understands and forgives even the rantings of a rebellious child.
- Hidden treasures, and blessings beyond measure that I often fail to see on this side of my iron gates.
- The way he continues to love, guide, and mold me, while smoothing out all of my hard places until my “wish” is literally what he commands.
… “because HE says so.” Yes, Lord!
“I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart” (Jer. 24:7).